Home Ownership Resources
HOME OWNERSHIP INFORMATION RESOURCES
New Mexico Mortgage Finance Authority
Mortgage Financing | Homebuyer Education | Down Payment Assistance
ADDRESS: 344 Fourth Street SW Albuquerque, NM 87102
Phone #: (505) 843-6880
Website: NM MFA- Housing New Mexico
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
Housing Counseling Agency | Homebuyer Education | Homebuying Program Information
Website: HUD - BUYING A HOME
HOME LOAN PROGRAMS
Section 184 Home Loan Guarantee Program
Section 184 is a home mortgage product specifically designed for members of Native American and Alaskan tribes.
With Section 184 financing, borrowers can get into a home with a low down payment and flexible underwriting. Section 184 loans can be used both on and off native lands, for new construction, rehabilitation, purchase of an existing home, or refinance.
Section 502 Direct Loan Program
VA Home Loans
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Home Loan program guarantees loans made to eligible Veterans, Servicemembers, Reservists, National Guard members and certain surviving spouses.
VA guarantees a percentage of the loan. This helps the Veteran obtain a no-down payment mortgage at a competitive interest rate that does not require private mortgage insurance.
Website: VA Home Loan Benefits
New Mexico Mortgage Finance Authority Programs
MFA's mortgage programs provide homebuyers with down payment and closing cost assistance as well as competitive interest-rate mortgage loans.
Requirements for all MFA mortgage programs include:
- A minimum credit score of 620
- Home buyers must receive pre-purchase homebuyer counseling
- Borrowers must contribute at least $500 from their own funds
FirstHome and FirstDown
A mortgage loan for individuals or families who have not owned a home in the past three years. It may be used with MFA's down payment assistance program, FirstDown, or as a stand-alone first mortgage.
A down payment and closing cost second mortgage loan that is available to available to first time homebuyers who have lower household incomes. The loan has a zero percent interest rate and may be forgiven after 10 years if certain conditions are met.
Contact: (505) 843-6880
Website: MFA - Mortgage Programs
Typical Costs Included:
- Principal: This is the amount you borrowed from the lender.
- Interest: This is what the lender charges you to lend you the money. Interest rates are expressed as an annual percentage.
- Property Taxes: Local authorities assess an annual tax on your property. If you have an escrow account, you pay about one-twelfth of your annual tax bill with each monthly mortgage payment.
- Homeowners Insurance: Your insurance policy can cover damage and financial losses from fire, storms, theft, and other hazards. As with property taxes, you pay one-twelfth of your annual insurance premium each month, and your lender or servicer pays the premium when its due.
- Mortgage Insurance (PMI): An amount added to your monthly payment if your down payment is less than 20% of the home's purchase price.
Predatory lending involves engaging in deception or fraud, manipulation of the borrower through aggressive sales tactics, or taking unfair advantage of a borrower's lack of understanding loan terms. Learn more about predatory lending and what you can do to combat these practices.
Common types of predatory lending and how to avoid them: DEED STREET CAPITAL
Learn how homeowners can be targeted by predatory lenders: OFFICE OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
Consumer Protection and Financial Health
This is a collection of resources provided by HUD related to predatory lending, scams and mortgage fraud: HUD EXCHANGE